Skip to main content

2007 Flashback: Remember who you are

September 14, 2007 - Friday

The Most Amazing Experience!
Current mood: triumphant
I went on as Katherine in The Taming of the Shrew at the Shakespeare Theatre tonight!!!

Charlayne was injured in last night's show. She is a trooper and she finished the show anyway WITH an injury. I had no question in my mind that she'd go on the next day. We hadn't had understudy rehearsals yet and I wasn't off book. But her work ethic suggested to me that even if she was headless, she'd perform. So naturally, foolishly, I didn't look at Kate's lines.

What happens next? Her doctors tell her she shouldn't/can't perform. Oh boy.

I was hoping that it wouldn't be until after Opening Night that I'd have to REALLY know Kate's lines. I didn't have that much text left to memorize, but I was taking my sweet time. Mistake, yes, but I was more prepared than I thought. The play is about her but she surprisingly doesn't say too much. Petruchio talks more than she does.

So then PLAH-DOW! Here I am getting ready for my normal roles in the show, Curtis and The Widow, and I hear that the 2pm show is cancelled. I don't panic yet. I'm told that we're going to rehearse me for two hours as a precaution but that they were sure she'd do the 8pm show. I don't half ass the rehearsal at all. I get what I need...just in case. But I'm still so sure she'll be there.

So I eat, I call my fiance who was out of town at Scott and Saskia's wedding and I call my best friend to tell them what's up. I'm calm. I panic. I'm excited. I panic. I'm calm. It went up and down like that with an additional need to cry every so often. I say to myself, while putting on make up and being calmed down by Wyckham, "I think this might actually happen." And boy it did. I get the message at 6:30p.m. that I'm going on. The dressers (so amazing) had already gotten me shoes, fixed a few outfits so I could fit them (Charlayne is smaller than I am) and got me all set. They did an amazing job. I went onstage without one understudy rehearsal under my belt. WTF?

The Show:
It was a differnt show. Different mostly cause I didn't know what the fuck I was doing and I just had to make a choice. I had a strong idea of who Kate was and what I wanted to do with the role, but she wasn't my main focus. I was playing three roles in the show so I had enough to occupy my creative brain space. Since I hadn't mapped things out for myself, I had to be in the moment. It forced everyone to be present. Nobody had any idea if I'd even get the damn lines right let alone do my blocking. Yes it was off, yes it was right on sometimes, yes it was fresh, yes it was a different take but it was my own and it was exhilarating and scary and fun and such a great ride.

I'm just so thankful. I'm just thankful that the cast, director, asst. director, and stage management were so accepting, supportive, loving, appreciative, understanding and present with me. It was overwhelming. I cried when it was all over. I knew the flood gates would open sooner or later. I'm SO thankful to the actors. They were beyond supportive. I can't even tell you how easy they made it for me.

I guess I've just re-learned what live theater is all about...or at least why I love it. I was scared and my hands were shaking through some of it. Though I was scared, and though I didn't have all the pieces of the story, I had to communicate the story anyway. I didn't have time to get upset about a choice or a moment. I was just trying to tell the story that everyone else was telling.

I had the friggin script in my hand on stage, the audience knew it and it seemed not to matter. I shrink sometimes when I don't feel like I'm enough, I suck, I could do better, or the director isn't happy with me. I do that...often. This year has been a case study in insecurity for me onstage. But tonight I wasn't in that place. It was about the play and the actors. I wanted the the story to be told. It was about every line. It was about every second. It was about getting to the end of the damn story so I could fall down on my knees and cry my eyes out. That's all I cared about. "Erika, don't die." And I didn't.

I kept thinking..."I hope Michael Kahn was here or an agent!" It felt as if the performance was a tree falling in the forest. Would anyone hear it? I realize now that that doesn't matter. I know the tree fell. I know it fell over and parted the seas. It broke the dirt and seeds flew up in the air. I took that too far, but you know what I mean. It was for me. I know I rose to the occasion. I know I'm capable. Maybe I just needed to remember why I do this or why I'm hired for this...cause I can pull stuff like this off. Give me a two hour rehearsal, the script in my hand and I can still make that shit worth seeing!

DO IT ROSE! I've got to celebrate this moment because inevitably, like life, it's up and down. I could be thinking I'm in the wrong business again in a few months. I'm going to enjoy this night for as long as I can. I'm proud of myself.
-------------------------------------
From an online article called: The Best of Washington Theater
www.dailycolonial.com

Posted Sunday, December 9 2007 10:05:44 pm
By Michael Hyland
Daily Colonial Staff Writer

Covering the theatre beat for The Daily Colonial for two-and-a-half years, I've seen a lot of shows on campus and in the District, many of which have contributed significantly to my overall experience here. Here, I try to share with you some of the highlights of my time here. Each of these works caused me to re-examine both my notions of what theatre is and my perceptions of society, like any good show
should.

• "The Taming of the Shrew" by the Shakespeare Theatre Company: I've always enjoyed classical theater, especially when a work is transplanted to a different time or age. In September, "Shrew" opened in Washington following one of the most triumphant preview performances I've ever seen. After taking my seat for a Saturday evening performance, the audience learned that the lead actress, Charlayne Woodard, was suddenly unable to perform that night. Her understudy would have to go on. However, understudy rehearsals do not begin until the run of a show commences. Erika Rose, stepping in as Kate, managed to learn the entirety of the first half and the bulk of the second half in just a day, only running a few scenes with a script in her hand. It was one of the bravest, most inspirational performances I've ever seen an actor give. Truly the entire cast and audience were inspired as the actress received a full standing ovation at curtain call.

Comments

  1. Yay Erika! I'm so glad I was able to see that show, even if it was before we actually met. It was incredible.
    -Ben

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Privilege

Yesterday, I attended a memorial service for a friends' mother who recently passed away. I found out via a post on social media that she had passed. Though I hadn't seen my friend in years, I realized that the service would be near me and that I had an opportunity to be there. When the service ended and we went to share condolences with the family I weirdly kept thinking and also said, "thank you." I could not figure out why I felt so grateful. Saying "thank you" to people who are grieving is beyond strange but I was overwhelmed with gratitude that was mixed with sadness. I kept wondering why "thank you" was on my tongue. I spent the car ride and most of today thinking about why. Here's what I've discovered: I was thankful for the privilege and honor to be able to witness and be in the presence of their mother's love. There was such beauty in the room, such open heartedness, such joy, such sadness, such support, such fullness of hu

Life has changed

I never thought I'd be a mother. Hell, I never thought I'd get married! Here I am. Here we are. This shit is hard and it's so wonderful and it fills me up to the brim. Sometimes that feels exactly right and other times it feels like I'm lost. I'm 38. I've never cared much about getting older but I think having kids starts a clock, a new one. How much time do I have left with these beautiful human beings we just created? How much time do I get to see their faces and hold their hands and kiss them and play with them? Raising children seems like it will be the most important thing I will ever do in my life. I understand why people say that now. And yet, I also feel lost in the abyss of motherhood and long for my body back, my space, my thoughts, my career and my relationship with my husband. This thing called motherhood/parenthood is not for the weak. We'll make it, whatever IT is, all of us. We'll be ok. It doesn't always feel like we'll be ok, b